Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Could you play that back again?

There are moments in life where you say things off the top of your head that you can easily replay and realize how silly you sounded. I have been lucky enough to have several of these moments in my own life. Today was my mom's turn. Her computer has gone AWOL on her and I need the system restore disc to fix it. She hasn't found it yet, so I suggested that she call Dell Support to get a new disc.........

Mom: "Well, I called the Dell support people and the guy said that they can't even sell me a replacement disc because it's out of warranty. He said I'll have to take it to Circuit City or something."

Me: "Well, you better start looking for that disc."

Mom: "Your dad said he'd look for it but hasn't found it yet. The Dell guy obviously wasn't any help either."

Me: "That disk is priceless. It's like a computer on a disc."

Mom: "NOW you tell me that."

Me: (laughing) "Oh, now it's my fault that you can't find the disc?"

Mom: "Well, I hate men because they give you the run-around and don't help at all........."

Me: (laughing even harder) "So now it's the men's fault?"

In summary, the line of logic was......

Dell guy can't help due to expired warranty + Dad can't find the disc + I didn't tell her to save disc = My mom hates men.

I wish I had this conversation on tape. It was comedy gold.