Friday, September 26, 2008

Self-indictment.........

Last night, Mrs. Lime and I headed out to eat with her dad and Kali 1.7. When we got to the restaurant, Mrs. Lime went to put Kali in the high chair. Kali balked and wanted Mrs. Lime to hold her. She sat down with Kali in her lap rather than putting her in the high chair.

Immediately after that, Mrs. Lime said, "I can't figure out why she wants to be close to me. All I did was cuddle with her all day."

A broad smile came over my face and Mrs. Lime began to smile a bit as well as though she knew that I was about to point out the obvious. It didn't take much mental match to do 1+1=2.

"Ever think that might be the reason?", I said.

Mrs. Lime dismissed my comment and we went on with the meal. Later on when the main course came out, Mrs. Lime again went to put Kali in the chair and Kali started to throw a fit. Mrs. Lime initially moved to pull her back, but I mentioned that she needed to be put in the chair. Kali threw a crying fit for a couple of minutes (though Mrs. Lime likely felt like it was for an hour) and then she stopped and began eating as though nothing adverse had taken place.

God bless moms. They always are concerned about the welfare of their child at each and every moment. But someone forgot to tell the 19 month old child that love shouldn't include taking advantage of the mom's emotions. Kali doesn't care that she's tugging on the emotions of Mrs. Lime when she throws a crying fit. She's got one thing in mind and that's getting what she wants. It's relatively innocent right now, but I'm sure the manipulation attempts will increase in quantity and quality in the years to come. I'm guessing that Mrs. Lime will become less and less concerned when the tactic starts being abused. It will soon become Kali crying 'Wolf!'.