Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's just different........

I usually drop into the cafeteria at my work place once or twice a week to eat a breakfast burrito. I can't eat it every day, but I like to grab one every once in awhile. For the past couple of years, there has been a girl named 'Mo' who did all the grill stuff. She is really nice to the regular customers and often greets them by name. She also knows exactly what you usually order.

While I was gone on our trip to Disney, Mo either left the job or got fired. I can imagine that she'd leave a paying job in this economy, but stranger things have happened. Either way, there was a new lady on the grill. Of course, it just feels different when you go in to order now and it doesn't taste as good. Mo was good at what she did and I'm sure she drew in people because of her friendly nature.

It's a great lesson for me in what a cohesive and good staff can do for the popularity of your establishment. If people feel comfortable around a manager and their staff and get to know them, there's an increased value to those customers even though it doesn't cost you anything more to be friendly.