Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Bless you........

When we were in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, I had an interesting exchange while at the table. The poker room staff was getting ready to open up a new table right next to my table. The poker room manager turned on the microphone to make an announcement......

Manager: We're ready to open a new 1/2 No-limit table. Will the following people please report to table 22: Bill, Tom, Jake, A-choo...........

Me: (talking to guy next to me at table) Did the manager just call 'A-choo' to the new table?

Guy: Sure sounded like it. I was ready to say 'Bless you' after I heard him say it.

Me: Yeah, I didn't know if he sneezed or actually called a name. But I think he was calling the name 'A-choo'.

Just as I said 'A-choo' again, an Indian man turned and looked at me from the new table.

Me: Are you 'A-choo'?

Indian man: Yes.

Me: Ah, OK. Just was curious.

I tried to feign interest while steadfastly trying to keep a straight face. I took a peek up at the waiting list for tables. In the 1/2 No-limit game, the name 'Ashu' was listed. Evidently, that's pronounced 'A-choo'.

Mystery solved.