Thursday, November 15, 2007

Coke, Murder, and California high schools.......

While in Vegas, I had a male and female player sit down on either side of me at the same time. They were both in their early 20s. They were chatting with each other and it was pretty obvious that they knew each other at some level.

As we were playing, she was on the cell phone for quite awhile talking with someone. Here are some of the comments I overheard:

---Wait, so you're telling me that Jim is a coke-head now? Geez, he used to be such a hottie. Now he's nothing but a pile of sh*#.

---Yeah, I actually had heard that Shawn was serving life in prison. Serves him right. I don't know why he was so intent on killing that guy. Only thing worse than killing the guy was the fact that he wasn't even successful and now has to spend the rest of his life in prison for an attempted murder that he botched.

The girl was pretty bossy and demanding most of the time at the table. She always had something to complain about and was always telling her friend what to do. She was bored at our table because there wasn't enough money flying around and wanted to go to another table. Rather than getting up to talk to the poker room manager or asking for him to come over to the table, she berated her friend several times to go and get a seat for her at another table because "she didn't want to miss a hand".

After a few minutes, she was finally called over to the other table. I struck up a conversation with the guy once she was gone.

Me: So, what's the deal with all of her friends being on drugs and killing people?

Guy: (Laughing) Yeah, it's a mess.

Me: Are you all boyfriend/girlfriend or what?

Guy: I suppose we're kind of boyfriend/girlfriend.

Me: I was just curious. You seemed a bit miffed at her when she was bossing you around.

Guy: (smiling) Yeah, you could say that.

Me: So why aren't your friends as messed up as her friends?

Guy: Well, they're actually friends of both of us. We went to the same high school in California together.

Me: Oh, I see.

Guy: Yeah, it's actually pretty common in California to hear stuff like that on a regular basis. You just get used to people doing stupid things.

Me: It would seem you have a girlfriend there who will allow for plenty of excitement, that's for sure.

Guy: (Laughing) Thanks, I suppose.

He was a really nice guy and we chatted for most of my time at the poker table. I do hope he moves on to greener pastures because that girl was bound to drive him crazy (for all the wrong reasons).