Thursday, February 28, 2008

Whole lotta baggage...........

I'm not sure at what point the workplace became an airport terminal. It's amazing just how many bags some people bring to work.

When I first started in the workforce 10 years ago, people would maybe bring in a small bag to carry a planner and a notebook of some sort. It was often just another version of a briefcase and was relatively minimal. I'd say the vast majority of people didn't bring in bags at all.

Flash forward to today. I see multiple people coming in with enough bags to facilitate a 4 night stay in a Florida resort. One woman had a duffel bag, a side bag and a purse. Another lady had a laptop computer, a duffel bag, a lunch bag, and a large purse. Listen, I'm all for being prepared, but there's a reason that we have storage drawers and cabinets in our offices. It's so we don't have to carry all that stuff back and forth from home to the office!

Me? I walk in with my car keys and a jacket. Perhaps I appear as though I'm not doing anything because I don't carry multiple bags into work on a daily basis. I'll deal with that. I think the same people that bring bags into the workplace are the same ones that sometimes take their work burdens home with them. I prefer to leave that stuff at work and spend time doing stupid things to entertain Kali 1.0.