Friday, January 27, 2006

Limelicker is not a role model....Part 2


Ah, so you thought there was just one incident of misbehavior in Limelicker's past? You are sorely mistaken. The amusing part of this is that my parents don't know about this one. But I digress. We'll entertain just why that is a bit later in this post.

I had an English teacher in 8th grade named Mr. Brown. He was either a high school track or football coach who taught as a side job. You know what I'm talking about. The ones that are a whole lot more interested in the coaching part than actually teaching the material. It's not that they are necessarily bad teachers, but their priorities obviously lie in sports.

One day, I come into the classroom pretty early. There's only 4-5 people in the classroom. I notice in the back of the classroom that there is a video camera on a tripod set up facing the front of the room where the teacher stands. I set down my books and go over to the video camera, making sure to duck under the lens portion of the video camera. I turned the video camera to where it faced out the window towards the football field. I went back and sat down to wait for class to start.

Mr. Brown came in once the bell rung. He began the lecture on whatever was being discussed that day. After about 30 minutes of talking by him, he suddenly stopped talking. He appeared to be pretty agitated. He said to the class, "Who turned around the video camera?". Being the good person that I am, I refused to tell him who did it, full well knowing that person would probably be in a lot of trouble. Mr. Brown went on to explain to the class that the camera was being used to tape him for evaluations of teachers by the principals. Obviously, since some fool in the class had spun around the camera, the entire tape now consisted of a recording of the football field outside the classroom window. Mr. Brown made the class sit in silence the rest of the period.

Of course, I knew I had got lucky and got away with my little prank. I was glad to get out of there without any major damage done. A couple of days later, I was called by the secretary via intercom to come up to the front office. I thought that something was being delivered for me or something like that. Once I got up to the front office and saw Mr. Brown standing in the office with his arms crossed, I knew I'd been had. But how did they figure it out?

Then I was shown the video. I definitely was nowhere to be found on the video. But there was another person visible on the video. Her name was Tiera. She lived just down the street from my house. Right as the video camera was turning towards the football field, a voice (quickly recognized as Tiera's voice) distinctly was heard on the audio of the tape saying, "Lime, I wouldn't do that if I were you!". Damn the luck.

So I was given papers for a Friday after-school detention. This was the same year as the previously mentioned incident in yesterday's blog entry. I couldn't have my parents finding out about yet another screw-up by yours truly. So I did what any other 8th grader idiot would do in this situation. I signed my mom's name on the dotted line and handed the papers back in the next day. I served the detention that Friday, telling my mom I had after-school jazz band practice. My parents don't know that this incident ever occurred.............well, until now. I may be punished retroactively once they finish reading this blog entry.