Monday, July 03, 2006

Proof that intelligent life doesn't consist of all humans......

I have an apartment here in Kansas City where the front door is actually on one side of the building and the garage is on the other side of the building. This is done because the road only passes on one side of the building. In some of the apartment units, the door is on the same side as the garage which means that some apartments have their entrance on the same side as their garage.

So this morning, I open the garage door to head out to the grocery store. I look out the door to see that there is an enormous storage unit on a trailer parked across the entrance to my garage and it is not attached to a truck (i.e. someone decided to drop it off for the day right in front of my garage!). There are three people who are hired help loading stuff into the storage unit. I ask if they can move it. They said that the lady that dropped off the unit already left and won't be back until 3:00 PM. Great.

They also noted that they asked the people in the door adjacent to my garage if they could park the unit there to load it. Evidently my neighbors, who damn well knew that it wasn't their garage, said it was fine. I'm really happy with them right now.

The head guy of the work crew then looks into my garage and asks what kind of car I have. I pointed (since it was right in front of him I'm not sure why he asked in the first place) and he saw that it was a Mustang. He then asked if there was any way I could pull around the trailer and pointed to a space roughly about 6 feet wide. Unfortunately, he was deadly serious. Thankfully, the young guy that was with him chuckled and said 'no way in hell he can get it through there without turning it on its side'. Honestly, I'm not even sure if my Mustang set on its side could even get through the space he was pointing at. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was wearing Coke-bottle glasses and probably couldn't even see the space he was referring to.

So, thanks to the stupidity of the storage unit manager, my neighbors and hired help, I'm stuck in my apartment until 3:00 PM when they come to pick up the unit. I played a short session of poker online and won $5, so I suppose not all was lost. But considering that I just found out that I'm not interviewing anywhere today, I'd rather be out playing 18 holes right now. If anything, this makes me more motivated than ever to hurry up and get a job so we can move into a house where we have our own driveway as soon as possible.