Thursday, July 24, 2008

A cruel business............

So today, I sit here knowing that someone in my group is going to lose their job in the coming week. No one in my group knows about it, including that person. Thankfully, I don't have to do the dirty work as it's a decision that my new contracting company is making.

Needless to say, it sucks. Not more than 24 hours ago, this same person came to me seeking advice about what to do in the upcoming days as he was concerned about the changes in our contract. I told him that he should always have a backup option available, but that I was told that everyone would be retained in the new contract group.

Today, I found out that my words about having a backup plan end up being prophetic. He'll be back out of a job after only a couple of months on this job. He just signed a 1 year lease on an apartment and now has no income for the immediate future. I have no idea exactly what he did that warranted his removal. The decision was made above me in the food chain. In a couple of days, I'll have to explain to him that it wasn't my choice and he'll want answers. I can't say I blame him.