Thursday, July 17, 2008

Role models.........

It's natural for a person to see a larger-than-life sports star and think how great it would be to be famous. You could be a hero to millions of people. You could make millions of dollars doing nothing more than playing the same game that we all play, recreational or otherwise.

I watched a HBO show last night about Mickey Mantle. I was amazed after watching the videos just how great of a player he really was throughout his career. He could run like the wind. He could hit the ball over the fence in one at-bat and then bunt for a hit on the next at-bat. His fielding ability was unbelievable. Millions of fans loved his bashful persona and warm smile.

While he was playing baseball, his wife and 4 kids lived in Dallas, TX. They interviewed her and she talked about how rough it was to spend 7-8 months out of every year alone raising four boys. Meanwhile, Mickey never really grew up. He went to parties and bars with his teammates nearly every day. He began to drink a lot, mainly because he was a bashful person and he though people enjoyed being around a drunk Mickey Mantle. I guess he thought it 'enhanced' his personality.

After his career ended, he went back home. The only way he felt he could really relate to his kids (who were now all grown up), was to have a few drinks with them. As a result, he had 4 alcohol-dependent sons. His wife lamented in the interview just how difficult life was living with 5 alcoholics.

Eventually, Mickey's body gave out from the years of alcohol abuse. He actually realized the error in his ways in his final few months. He presented himself to the public as a role model that you shouldn't attempt to follow. Simply put, he said, "God gave me all these gifts and I blew it."

It's easy to want to be everything in life. I don't have anywhere near the physical gifts that Mickey Mantle has (though I still attempt to prove otherwise on occasion). Watching Mickey Mantle's story showed me just how big of a hero I really am. I'm raising Kali 1.5 the best way I know how with absolutely no regrets as to how I'm doing it. Mrs. Lime and I are creating positive role models for Kali that will last her the rest of her life. Not only that, I think she'll be a better person for it, rather than be burdened with issues that were not self-initiated.

It's OK to avoid being humble every once in awhile and give yourself a pat on the back. You may be your own worst critic, but you're also your own best friend.