Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Where's the posts?????

I've been busy at work of late. Our old contract ended and a new company was awarded the next contract. As a result, the workers end up basically reapplying for their old job. It's not that big of a deal as far as job security goes, but I needed to update my resume to reflect the latest work in my career. So it's a bit time consuming.

In addition, we have a couple of people in my group that have never gone through this kind of job transition. They're confused by all of the shenanigans that occur when a contract is taken over by another company. For example, the new company can't officially recruit the workers in the departing company for the same positions in the new contract. What they can do is hold a "job fair" where they only invite the current team members to the job fair and then hire the employees back again. It's a really odd system that can be really confusing for newer employees who haven't dealt with it before.

I had to talk a couple of my employees off a ledge yesterday. Both of them had been in the group for only a few months, so they weren't prepared for the chaos surrounding a contract change. I just simplified the discussion as best as I could to help them understand that everything was likely to remain the same. It seemed to work. They settled down and were much happier with the situation afterwards. Crisis averted.

Hopefully this will all be resolved in the next week or so and I can get back to blogging about stupid, meaningless things again.