Thursday, February 02, 2006

The beer sampler to end all beer samplers

So we went to a place called DuClaw Brewing Company to eat the other night (http://www.duclaw.com). In the menu, there was a sampler of the beers available for $8.00. I thought I'd give it a try. The menu showed it as 5 beers. You can imagine my surprise when this showed up at my table:



Actually, this was not even all of them as there was one glass that came later (a porter beer). So, 10 glasses of beer to sample, roughly5-6 oz. per glass. The names were the best part.

Kangaroo Love - A light, golden beer. Very good. 4.5%

Bad Moon Porter - Dark beer with good flavor. My favorite of the dark beers. 5.1%

Misfit Red - Voted the best beer in Baltimore in 2001. Amber beer. 5.0%

Venom Pale Ale - I actually received two draws of this beer. A light amber beer. I received a regular draw and a 'nitro' draw which somehow supposedly had different gases in it because of how it was drawn from the tap. I couldn't really tell a difference between the two glasses, but more beer is always good I suppose. 5.6%

Bare Ass Blonde Ale - Good golden beer. Nothing fancy, but my favorite golden beer of the bunch. 5.0%

Old Flame - Getting into the big boy beers here. Amber beer with some obvious punch. 7.5%

Blackjack Stout - My least favorite of the beers. I suppose dark beer lovers may like it, but just not my thing. 8.5%

Devil's Milk - Very good stuff. Dark amber beer. Wife even liked this one. It lived up to it's name. 11.5%

Repent - The name says it all. Absolutely sinful. Tasted very much like a port wine. Sweet, tasty and a kick that will lay you on your back if you aren't careful. 12.5%

I never knew there were so many beers around. I actually found a couple in the sampler that I'd try again. Pretty cool stuff. If you come into town, remind me and we'll head off to take in the sampler platter at DuClaw Brewing Company.