Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The great haircut debate

I have a situation that should be addressed by someone. Probably the United Nations security council.

Why does it cost me $10 to get my hair cut by the old guy at the local barber shop, yet it costs me $30 to get the exact same hair cut at a salon by a woman? I look the same once all the hair stops flying.

I've decided to go through the plus/minus comparison of the two experiences.......

Barber

Plus

---The old guy at the barber shop gives me the added benefit of a straight-edge razor cleanup on my neck, which allows for an extremely good look.

---The old guy is very quick in his work and gets me out in a hurry.

---Nice guy who loves to talk about his family and grandkids. He loves it when I ask about his wife/family. He takes care of his wife in a wheelchair. I tip him 50% on the $10 haircut just for that. Always puts a smile on his face.

---Military veteran. Always a plus in my book.

---Has a dirty magazine stash hidden in the cabinet that all the regulars know about. I've honestly never looked at the magazines, but the 40-something guys just eat them up.

Minus

---Gets a bit distracted at times watching the Jerry Springer show on TV, but I'm sure that's good entertainment for most.

---Hair cut slows down when some of the guys he knows are in the shop.

---Sometimes tells horrible jokes and then laughs at his own jokes. Actually, I can somewhat relate to that.

---Has a dirty magazine stash hidden in the cabinet that all the regulars know about.


Salon Girl

Plus

---Female. Always a plus if you're a heterosexual guy. (I feel the need to point that out given that there is a gay male hairdresser in the establishment that my wife uses.)

---Single. Despite me being married, I feel less guilty when she flirts with me because she's single.

---Very clean joint. Got a lot of fancy pictures that you can even buy if you bring a few hundred dollars along with you.

---Easy to get an appointment. Except for right before holidays, it's not tough at all to get in.

---Shampoo. Love that.

---The head stroke. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. For some strange reason, every female hairdresser has that thing where they run their fingers over your head in a massage-like technique. I don't know if there's a special name for it, but I'm going to have to find out if there are training classes where my wife can learn how to do it.

Minus

---Don't catch her on a bad day. She's pretty rough on the hair on those days. Not a pretty thing.

---It costs $30. That's 3 times as much as my old friend in the barber shop.

---A lot of talking. I have to come to my haircut with discussion topics ready. She'll talk my ear off and I feel guilty if there's a moment lacking conversation.

---No dirty magazines in the cabinet for the regulars. Given that there is a gay male hairdresser in the shop, this could also be considered a positive. I'm not sure I'm interested in all that.


So in summary, there's plenty to like about both and a few bad things. Really hard decision to make. In the end, I'm going to have to choose.......

The BARBER! Nothing wrong with my salon girl, but a military veteran who brags about his family and takes care of his wife gets my nod in a heartbeat. Honestly, the money thing doesn't even come into play. Anybody that has the character of my barber deserves my respect, admiration and frequent business. May he live many more years.