Friday, September 29, 2006

Beaten by a 5 year old.......

Mrs. Lime and I went out to eat with one of her friends and her 5 year old daughter. Mrs. Lime and her friend were talking business, so I decided to strike up an extended conversation with my new 5 year old friend.

Me: So, is the peanut butter and jelly sandwich pretty good?

5: Yes!

Me: Looks like you got some big fries with that sandwich, eh?

5: Yes, these are the biggest fries I've ever seen! I can't even fit them into my mouth!

Me: And looks like you got a sucker too.....

5: (to her mom) Look, Mom! I got a sucker!

Me: So what do you like to eat besides peanut butter and jelly?

5: Cheeseburgers and Macaroni and Cheese! Did you know my mom cooks my Macaroni and Cheese with pieces of salmon in it?

Me: Really?

5: Oh yeah! It tastes really good.

Me: So does your dad do any cooking for you?

5: Yes, he cooks Macaroni and Cheese too.

Me: Does your dad cook it better than your mom?

5: Yes! He cooks it better than my mom, but be sure you don't tell her that.

Me: OK, your secret is safe with me.


We then proceeded to play a game where one of us would draw a picture and the other would try to guess. It seemed to be a game that I was destined to lose. I actually draw pretty well. She always seemed to guess the pictures on the first try when I drew them. Some of her first guess wins included a McDonald's sundae (complete with the corporate symbol on the side which obviously gave it away), a bird, a tree, a book, and a drawing of my 5 year old friend (I still have no clue how she knew I was trying to draw her given the low quality of my drawing).

Obviously, as a 5 year old, her drawings were a bit more creative, so I had my work cut out for me. Her first drawing was a couple of half circles next to each other. I guessed rainbows, moguls, and hills. I was finally told that they were eyebrows and that I should have guessed that much sooner. Tough crowd.

Next, there was a picture of a blue line with lots of green scribbling above the line. I told her I was going to get this one on the first try. She told me she didn't think so. I guessed grass. Nope! I then guessed a wall, a plant and a fountain. I was told that wasn't it either. I asked for a clue and she said that 'they were in the world all around us'. Well, that certainly narrows it down. I fired off a couple more guesses without any success. I asked her to tell me what it was and she told me it was a bush. I said that I had already guessed a plant. I was quickly told by my 5 year old friend that a bush is not the same thing as a plant. Glad I know that now.

She played with my mind a bit after that. She drew a picture with a rectangle and a dot in the middle of the triange with green shooting out of the top of the triangle. I guessed that it was a grocery bag or a picture of myself. I was quickly given a hint that 'they were in the world all around us'. Haven't I had this hint before? I gave up and was informed that it was a tree. She giggled and was quite proud of herself that she drew something that I already drew and that I still couldn't get it.

I was humbled by a 5 year old. I dropped my head in shame and headed home.