Friday, September 15, 2006

The walk that nearly killed me.......

First, some background information. When our dog, Casanova, was young, we took him out on the 4th of July to a fireworks display. It turned out to be a very bad idea. He was frightened out of his mind and has been scared of loud noises ever since. It was so bad one night over at Blondie's place that, when the fireworks were shot off outside her apartment, Nova literally has the s#$% scared out of him to the point where he relieved himself in her dining room as soon as the fireworks started. That's something he NEVER does, so you know it was a scary moment for him.

Flash to tonight. I decided to take Nova out for a walk around the lake at our apartment complex. Nova was walking along, having a wonderful time marking all the trees along the path. About halfway through the walk..........BOOM........BOOM!!!!!!! For some reason, a fireworks display began about 2 miles from where we were walking. Instantly, our walk became a very quickly paced trot.

Suddenly, I felt like I was a water skier being towed by a very powerful boat. I didn't have much control over the walk at this point. Nova knew where home was and we were heading there RIGHT NOW! There was a slight problem though. I had just gone out with Mrs. Lime's parents for dinner and was very full. So my dog is dragging me along at breakneck speed. I honestly can't blame him for running from loud noises (seems like common sense to me), but I was hurting! I started feeling sick because of the pace of our walk/run. It was all I could manage to not get sick on the way back. Thankfully, we finally got back just before I became ill. Nova was quite happy to be back and safe from the barrage of loud noises.