Friday, October 05, 2007

Poker, birthdays, football, and baptisms.......

Mrs. Lime and I finally got a will written and signed. It's always nice to sign some documents about your death. Hopefully I live forever and no one has to bother trying to translate it. Kali 0.7 played and giggled on the table the entire time while we were signing the wills. She saw the terms of the will, so she was likely already counting my money in her head. I'll assume the next time a bottle comes flying at my head that she's trying to take me out.

Today is my birthday as well. I'm now sitting at the very interesting age of 33. Why is it interesting you say? Well, I suppose it's more interesting than 32, but I'll get back to you on that after a few days of being 33.

I went with Rudy to the poker tables last night to try my birthday luck. Managed to win about $40 and Rudy broke even, so all is well in that regard. We had some pretty bad players sit down at our table through the night and about half the table was poker room regulars. I made some pretty good reads all night long. There was a few hands where I had absolutely nothing, but it was as if the other person had turned over their hands and I knew exactly what they had. Makes poker awfully easy when you can play it knowing what your opponent has in his hand.

I also managed to put a regular player 'on tilt'. Putting a player 'on tilt' means you push them to a point where they are playing emotionally rather than playing logically. If you can get a player to do that, they're going to give away some chips in a big hurry. I had played with this guy before and put him on tilt, so I knew it could be done. I won a hand off him and then told him that I was convinced that he didn't have anything. This sent him on a pretty quick downward spiral. Over the next 1 1/2 hours after that hand, this guy dumped $200 into the table. That's a best-case scenario as a player, especially when you know they're likely playing some bad hands and making unwise decisions. During that same time, I went from $70 down to $60 up. That 1 1/2 hours made for a profitable night.

We have a busy weekend coming up. My birthday is today, tomorrow is the huge Nebraska-Mizzou football game (which will likely decide the Big 12 North winner), and Sunday is Kali's baptism. Just another weekend at the Lime household I suppose.