Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Grilled Cheese Incident............

It all began so innocently. I headed down to the cafeteria at work to get my usual fare: a turkey sub on wheat bread. Unfortunately, the sub guy didn't make it to work yesterday due to the 4 inches of snow that fell. As a result, I headed over to the fried foods to take my high caloric medicine.

There were two ladies there at the counter. Both had ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwiches were being grilled as I arrived. It began right away.....

Lady 1: Now, I want my bread to be grilled on butter so it toasts the correct way.

Cook: Yes, ma'am. I'm doing that.

Lady 1: Well, I wanted to make sure it was buttered because I didn't see you butter it.

Cook: Ma'am, I buttered the bread just like you asked.

Lady 1: Well, I just didn't see you do it.

Cook: Ma'am, you want me to butter the bread again?

Lady 1: I wanted you to butter it the first time.

Cook: (buttering the bread again) See, it's buttered. Alright?

Lady 1: Whatever.

Lady 2: (acting like she's talking under her breath but making sure everyone hears it) Geez, someone's acting awful immature.

Cook: (shoots dagger eyes at Lady 2)

A 30 second silence filled with tension ensues, until they get it on again.......

Lady 1: I want my cheese melted. You know how to do that, right?

Cook: (dagger eyes) Yes, ma'am. I know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Lady 1: OK

Lady 2: This girl is off her rocker.

Another 30 seconds of silence, then the cook takes the toasted side of one piece of bread and turns it down rather than facing up, resulting in the sandwich having one toasted side out and a white side out on the other side. Hilarity ensues...........

Lady 1: You just messed up my sandwich! I thought you knew how to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Cook: Look, I'm making your sandwich! I am not going to........that's it.......

Cook walks out of the cafeteria, yelling for her manager. Manager comes out and starts cooking the sandwiches. He turns the white side down to toast it.

Lady 1: Your cook screwed up my sandwich. She didn't put the toasted side out.

Manager: It's cooking correctly now, right?

Lady 1: Yes.

Manager: Everybody has a bad day, ladies.

Lady 1: Oh, I'll agree with that.

Lady 2: Unfortunately, this cook has a bad day every day!

Manager: (blowing off the last comment) Here's your sandwiches. Thank you.


I suppose that the cook technically did screw up the sandwich, though I think her mistakes were mostly due to the fact that the ladies were so distracting and insulting that there was no way she could concentrate. And the whole thing was over a sandwich! I know there are a lot of good people in this world, but I was stunned at how disrespectful these ladies were acting in a public place........over a grilled cheese sandwich.