Friday, December 07, 2007

Let the blood flow.............

As I usually do when Mrs. Lime is out of the house, I decided to watch some movies that she's not interested in watching. That ususally involves two genres: off-the-wall comedies and horror slash-fests. Mrs. Lime just doesn't get some of the humor at times, so I know to not bother watching certain movies with her. Horror and thriller movies give Mrs. Lime nightmares, so I generally avoid those as well.

Last night, I watched Hostel II. Now I'm a big fan of the first Hostel movie, so I was excited that they now have a second one. Basic premise of the movie is that people in a Scandinavian town have a hidden secret. They lure outsiders into the city with thoughts of wild parties and lots of attractive men/women. As a result, innocent young kids come to town in droves. What they don't know is that the hotel that they stay in is a front to a black market where people come to town solely to prey on these young kids and eventually torture and kill them for nothing more than sport and a thrill.

As a kid, I loved movie series like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc. Good fun gore-fests (preface: I was smart enough to know that the images were not real). I was always amazed at the makeup effects that were produced.

In Hostel and Hostel II, the effects are ratcheted up 10-fold. Copious amounts of blood and knives. Even more over the top is the spraying blood, which doesn't even come close to reality most times. The opinion of most horror directors is that the more blood there is, the better the flick.

In the end, Hostel II had a few twists, but wasn't quite as good as the original. But a horror movies should be judged on the gore, not the plot. The 1,000 liters of blood sprayed during this movie (probably not overexaggerating) make this movie a great slasher B movie.