Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A tale of two cities......

So Mrs. Lime and I are closing the sale of our house in Kansas City end of this week. As part of the arrangement, the closing papers are being sent to someone out here in Baltimore to be a witness to the signing of the papers. My first task is to call the person at the title company in Kansas City to get the details.

I called Nina to find out the location and the name of the contacts. She was very helpful and gave me the phone number, address and names of the people I needed to call in Baltimore to set up the meeting to sign the closing papers. Very nice lady.

I then call the number to speak with Fran, my contact here in Baltimore. Evidently she's a lawyer. I explain who I am and why I'm calling. Before I even finish what I'm saying, she responds that 'she knows who I am' with a less than appealing tone. Rocky start.

After that, I asked if it might be possible for my wife and I to come at separate times to sign the documents since we may not be able to make it at the same time. She responded that we could, but than gave me responses like 'if we do that, it's going to waste a lot of my partner's time' and 'we're not getting paid much to do this, so if you did that, we'd have to charge you another $200 for the extra time that would be wasted'. Already, I'm feeling like I can't wait to meet this lady.

Finally, when I ask if she might be able to help me with finding a place to park, she mentions that she has a spot there in the building that she pays $XX.XX a month to use. But she's not sure at all if there's anyplace close where I can park. So she took time out to 'help' me by telling me that she had a great parking spot, but failed to give me any idea at all where a good spot would be for me to park.

It's official. I'm ready to move back to the midwest.