Thursday, August 31, 2006

Shopping in Kansas and fixing display issues......

We went out to look for some appliances for our new home. We decided to head over to check things out at Nebraska Furniture Mart, which is about a 15 minute drive away from our apartment on the Kansas side of Kansas City. It's a huge warehouse with everything from electronics to appliances to flooring. It even has tons of furniture (in case you couldn't figure that out from their name).

We headed over to the appliance section first, since that was the main purpose of the trip. I was momentarily distracted as we passed the grilling section of the store (4 burner grills?!?!?!), but managed to pull myself away to look at refrigerators. There are so many different forms of refrigerators. It's quite mind-boggling. We just wanted to look at the features for now. I'll be measuring the space in the next week or two to figure out what we can fit in that space. Freezers on top, freezers on the bottom. One door, two doors, three doors(!)........anything you want pretty much is available. I did gawk at some wine coolers as well, but we're going to have to hold off on that for a bit.

Next we headed over to the washing machines/dryers. I actually had done a lot of research in that department already. There's a really nice model that GE makes that has all the features and size of the high-end models, but doesn't cost quite as much. Most of the reviews are very good on these machines. Consumer Reports gave it the 'Best Buy' stamp in front-load washers and dryers. We took a look at it and it's a really nice machine. I do need to go out and read up some more on it. I didn't see any specific information about these machines that said whether or not it cleans up big messes that little kids make. I'm guessing I'll need that in any washer/dryer that I buy.

We then looked around at some furniture. Tons of stuff available. We looked at bars, chairs, sofas, beds, tables, lights......the list goes on and on. We aren't actually going to buy all that stuff, but it's nice to just look around and see what's available. We also wandered into the baby area and checked out some cribs. One of the amazing things that they have now is something called convertible cribs. I'd never even heard of this kind of thing. Basically, after the kid gets too big for the crib, you can take off the sides of the crib and the front and back of the crib become a headboard and baseboard for a twin-size bed! So you don't have to actually go buy a new bed in that case. Pretty neat idea. I'm not sure we'll be getting one, but a nice way of making the furniture more useful for families.

At one point in our trip through the warehouse, I happened to notice that there was a large display area of college logo door mats. I noticed a glaring oversight in their display.......no Mizzou doormats! As I got closer, I realized that there was some tomfoolery going on. The Mizzou mats were on the bottom shelf where they could barely be seen. Not only that, someone had thrown two pink (!) doormats over the stack of Mizzou doormats! I personally believe that this was no accident.

1. The pink rugs was obviously intended to show that the person that put those rugs there thought that Mizzou was filled with a bunch of sissies.

2. The placement of the Mizzou rugs in a place that was mostly out of sight was also no coincedence. They wanted to make sure that the clientel didn't have to look at a logo that puts the University of Kansas to shame.

I quickly remedied the situation. I pulled the pink rugs off the top of the Mizzou rugs and put them somewhere else on the display. I was very happy with my renovation of the rug display and we headed home. We may not have bought anything, but we did a great deed and service for the University of Missouri, so it was definitely a good trip.