Friday, October 13, 2006

Birthday party at work......

The group of ladies that I work with have a potluck style lunch once a month. It's used to celebrate birthdays for that month. It's quite impressive I guess. They lay out a big spread of food, give out birthday cards and sing 'Happy Birthday' to the people with birthdays that month.

I, along with the other October birthday people, was crowned royalty for the day. I received a wonderfully fashioned paper crown made with only the finest paper products available. It included a velcro strip so you could make the crown fit correctly no matter how big your cranium was in circumference. Mine fit quite well and made me look like a king of the office cube world. The ladies had a tiara and feather boa to wear around for the day. I'm quite glad that they didn't purchase a feather boa for me. I'm thinking it wouldn't have looked so good on me.

The potluck dinner had a special setup to work with the Halloween theme. Everybody brought something to eat. They laid out their specific food dish in their cube. Then, when lunch time finally arrived, you had to go from cube to cube to get your food. It was kind of like trick-or-treating except it involved food instead of candy and you went from cube to cube rather than door to door. Some of the fine foods involved eyeball Jello, severed popcorn hands, green chocolate fondue, bat cookies and much, much more. The main thing I did learn from this potluck is that my co-workers have far too much time on their hands.

I will say that the ladies are very good cooks and that I ate far too much food. Thankfully, these parties only come along once a month. If the parties were any more frequent, it would probably be detrimental to my health.