Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The cheaper dozen........

As most people who have gone through this before know very well, a pregnant wife has certain needs that only a pregnant wife can have. One of those realities involves the cravings for certain kinds of food. Yesterday, I ran over to pick up some groceries. I needed to pick up some easy-to-prepare foods since we're moving this coming weekend and have packed away many of our kitchen dishes/pans. I got several different things that would be easy for us to heat up.

As I was going through the bakery area, I happened to notice several things that were on sale (since I'm a penny pincher and always looking for a bargain). I noticed that one of the sales was on one dozen jumbo chocolate-chip cookies. Now over the past couple of months, I haven't bought my wife flowers because we don't have any vases (they're all in storage). So I thought since I haven't got her one dozen roses recently, how about getting her one dozen JUMBO chocolate chip cookies!

I took home the food and set it down on the cabinet. I put it all away while Mrs. Lime was taking a nap. After about an hour, I went into the kitchen and grabbed one of the cookies. I sat down next to Mrs. Lime and started eating it.

Mrs. Lime: (with wide eyes) Is that a cookie?!?!?!

Me: No.

Mrs. Lime: Did you get cookies?!?!?!

Me: No. (takes another bite of the cookie)

Mrs. Lime: Where are they? Are there any left for me?

Me: No.

Mrs. Lime: I'm going to go get one!

Mrs. Lime retrieved a cookie from the kitchen, moving quite quickly in the process. From the kitchen, I heard 'Oooohhhh, they're BIG cookies!'. Of course, this is very important because there is much more guilt in eating two regular size cookies than one big one despite the fact that they probably contain the same amount of cookie ingredients. She sat down on the couch next to me with a big grin on her face. 5 seconds later, she quickly stands back up and states, "I need to heat up my cookie!".

She quickly walked back into the kitchen and put the cookie in the microwave. Casanova, our dog, was not to happy about this move by her. He is afraid of the microwave and runs to the opposite end of the apartment as soon as someone opens the door to put something into the microwave. He doesn't like popping noises and knows that the cooking food makes popping noises when it gets hot. The heated cookie did at least make the apartment smell pretty good for a little bit.

Mrs. Lime came back with her heated cookie and smiled through every bite. Hmmmmm, while the roses are better for her, the cookies seemed to bring her the most happiness. Maybe I've been buying the wrong dozen at the grocery store all along.