Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You never know who you'll run into......

I went out to eat with my wife and in-laws last night. Spur of the moment thing. We decided to go to a restaurant in the North part of Kansas City. We sat down at a table and started some small talk about the new house, our baby on the way, etc.

After a little while, I happened to notice a couple of kids in a booth with their family. One was probably 3 or 4 and the other one was probably 6 months to a year old. I watched the kids climbing around the booth, talking loudly, whining when they wanted something, etc. Typically kid stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary. I've been watching kids for some time now in public places, ready to be a parent myself.

We ate our meal and my wife and father-in-law decided to split a dessert. As they were eating their dessert, I happened to lean back to stretch and looked over at the same booth where the kids were that I was watching. There was another woman that was in the booth that was blocked from my view before. I did a double take and realized that the mom of the kids had been obstructed from my view the whole time. The reason I did a double take? It was my ex-girlfriend.

We had dated for 3 years or so and then she eventually started dating another guy behind my back. The worst part was that she didn't have the guts to just come out and tell me. I actually was setting up a Valentine's day surprise for her and went over to see her mom while my girlfriend was gone. I laid out this elaborate plan to have flowers, stuffed animals, etc. in her room when she got back home on Valentine's Day. When I finished telling her mom my plans, her mom said, "You do know that (my girlfriend) is dating another guy now, right?"

It was pretty obvious to her mom that I didn't know. She felt really bad about the situation. Her mother always liked me and was always very nice to me whenever I came by their house. So, needless to say, I didn't bother surprising her on Valentine's day or any other day thereafter.

As much as I wanted to find out how her family and brothers were doing, I couldn't bring myself to go over and chat with her. My wife and her mother commented afterwards that she was drinking a lot during her meal. I'm not sure I really care. I'm actually glad I didn't notice her until the end of the meal. I would have felt uncomfortable the whole time.

That's the one time I was absolutely run over by a girlfriend. I didn't have any other bad breakups except for that one. I'm glad it happened because I met Mrs. Lime a few months later and the rest of the story couldn't have worked out any better.