Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Plaza Art Fair........

A month or so ago, they held the 75th annual Plaza Art Fair in the famous Plaza here in Kansas City. It's a huge street fair dedicated solely to local, regional and some national artists. Most of the Plaza restaurants also have booths to sell food and promote their restaurant. Lots of food and lots of booze is available. Thousands of people come to the Art Fair every year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We went down and had dinner with some family members on the Plaza and then headed out to look at the artwork. There's a wide variety of things you can buy at a WIDE variety of prices. You can get small painted tiles and wood sculptures for as little as $20-30. On the high end, you can literally spend tens of thousands of dollars on paintings, prints, sculptures and photos. It's certainly not a place you want to take any habitual shoppers with low impulse control.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

People were walking their dogs all over the place. I saw several dogs wearing outfits. That's one of my big pet peeves. There should never be clothes on animals except for extreme examples (i.e. a hairless dog or cat in a winter climate). If animals were meant to wear clothes, God would not have given them fur coats that were already installed. I'll leave it at that.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There was one amusing point while I was taking some of these pictures. I saw a colorful booth with a lot of really nice paintings. I went ahead and took the following photograph......

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My flash went off, lighting up the whole place. The artist was standing at the front of the booth, talking with some people. As soon as she saw me take the picture, she commented under her breath to one of her friends that she'd like to know why I was taking pictures of her paintings. Evidently, she had been drinking because her under-the-breath comment could have been heard from 5 miles away. One of the people she was talking with yelled out that 'it was much cheaper to get her paintings that way' and laughed at his comment. To some extent, it was true. Her paintings, while they were quite nice and bright, were severely overpriced. There was no way I was dropping that kind of cash on those paintings. I just chuckled as I walked by her. She gave me a glare the whole time. She's probably been surfing the net ever since then trying to find my photo. Well, there it is! You can rest assured that everyone now has access to your paintings!