Monday, May 14, 2007

New day, new tricks.......

Kali 0.3 has an all-new trick up her sleeve. This isn't too much of a surprise as it seems like she's figuring out new stuff on a weekly, if not daily basis at this point.

Mrs. Lime and I have been blowing on her tummy and making noises. She found it pretty amusing and would always laugh at it. She's now started to mimic the noise that she hears. It's not exactly the same noise, but it's pretty obvious what she's trying to do. Mrs. Lime and I have been praising her for it. She's quickly caught on to the fact that we're happy with it. So now, she's doing it all the time just to get more attention. I'm sure this won't be the last time that an action is repeated numerous times after Mrs. Lime or I give the baby praise for doing something.

Also, Kali has now figured out that she can use her hands to reach out and grab an object. I held a bite-size candy bar that was still in its wrapper in front of Kali. It was a yellow wrapper and was very shiny, so it drew her interest. After a lot of misses, she finally managed to put her hand on the candy bar and grabbed it. Just to see if it was a fluke or not, I took it out of her grasp and held it back up in front of her. After a few more tries, she grabbed it again. It does appear that she has to be in the mood to try to grab it. I tried it later and she had no interest at all.

Kali and I gave Mrs. Lime a card yesterday for Mother's Day. I thought it would be fun to trace Kali's hands on the card since she helped pick the card that we bought. Easier said than done. First, Kali was very interested in chewing on her hands, which make for some very slippery and wet hands. Once I got one of the hands laid down on the card, I had to trace quickly as she was wiggling and moving her hand all around. I felt like I was wrestling a greased pig. It took a few minutes to dry up the drool all over the card, but we eventually got it in a presentable state.

Mrs. Lime is working quite a bit this week, so I'm going to have plenty of quality time with Kali this week. She'll likely get tired of me by the end of the week. I'll likely be tired as well, but that's par for the course with a baby in the house. It's a 'good tired', so I'll get over it.