Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The great ventilation puzzle............

I've been working on the Air Vent swap around the house over the past week or so. As we move into spring/summer, the heat goes off and the A/C comes on. It's tough to figure out our house in that I have to open certain vents in the winter to achieve a good heat throughout the house, but I have to open/close several vents in the summer to make it work when the A/C is on. I may have to start drawing vast diagrams of the house that map out which vents are open or closed during each season.

For example, during the winter, I leave both vents in Kali's room open to provide good heat. When summer comes around, I have to close the vent over her crib to keep the cold air from blowing on her. In our bedroom, the master bath vent is open during the winter to heat that area, but has to be closed during the summer to avoid a pretty heavy chill when you come out of the shower. In the master bedroom, one of the vents has to be closed during the winter to avoid overheating, but is usually open during the summer to cool off that room in the evening. In the guest bedroom, the temperatures are left high during the summer and cool during the winter. Not much reason to control the temperature with no one in there.

I can't complain. This house is much better insulated than our last house, which was 50 years old. That house had spaces in the doors and windows that moved more air than the furnace. I was fighting a losing battle. Figuring out the vent puzzle in my hope is a much easier thing to do and my wife seems to enjoy the house without the drafty windows and doors MUCH better.