Friday, May 02, 2008

Unbelievably scary storm last night...........

We took a few punches last night from Mother Nature, but we ended up just fine. First, we had to weather two tornado warnings. Kali didn't mind being in the basement, but she was pretty irritated that she wasn't allowed to run around the basement as we wanted to keep her in the back area away from the windows. There was a funnel cloud reported about 4 miles from our house, but it never touched down.

Then, at 2:00 AM this morning, the big storm hit us. I had the window open while I slept so I could hear storm sirens if any bad weather came through. I woke up about 1:50 AM and I could hear the wind start to pick up. It only took me about 15 seconds to get over to the window, but in that brief time, the storm hit. It sounded like the roar of a train or animal, except that it wasn't short-lived. When I went to close the window, rain and wind smacked me and nearly knocked me down through the window screen. I was INSIDE THE HOUSE! The roar continued for a good 15-20 minutes with huge raindrops being blown sideways and trees getting close to their breaking point. It was pretty scary stuff, but the house held up well.

I checked the weather information this morning and found exactly why the roar of the storm was so pronounced. We had 70-80 MPH winds last night. For 15-20 minutes, we had a category 1 hurricane in our neighborhood. After what I saw last night, I believe it. I like to watch storms, but that was just nuts.