Monday, June 30, 2008

Back on the court..........

My friend Bobby and his wife managed to land access to the local high school gym every week for the rest of this year. Great deal as I don't have access to a good gym in the area to shoot around.

I'm always amazed when I get to play basketball how quickly things come back to me. I can still shoot pretty well. My free throw shooting technique is good as well, thought it's not as consistant due to lack of repitition. I've also found that my jumping ability hasn't change much either; I'm still a lousy jumper.

We played a couple of games after shooting around for awhile. I shot the ball pretty well when my feet were set, but had some issues with my mid-range pull-up shot. I'll have to work on that in the coming weeks. My stamina was actually good. I easily had the best stamina in the last game and I came within a free throw miss of winning the last game.

At the end, we decided to run some suicides to get in some extra work. For the uninitiated, a suicide means you run from the baseline down and back to each of the major lines on the court (both free throw lines, the half-court line, and the other baseline). When I played basketball in school, we had to run a suicide in 30 seconds or we'd have to run it again. While we didn't have an official time, I'm pretty sure that we didn't run our suicides in 30 seconds. It felt like forever, but was likely in the 40-45 second range. We'll start timing in the upcoming weeks to see if we can improve our times. For the time being, I'll just feel good that I even finished 2 suicides after playing a few games.

The good news is that I'm actually feeling good today. I assumed that I'd be sore today, but I'm thankfully intact. I can only hope that continues in future weeks.