Friday, June 06, 2008

Keeping the manager happy.........

My manager was in town yesterday for a quarterly status visit. Per the usual, he has me pick out a good restaurant to eat at while he's in town. I gave him 3 different options to choose from. Not surprisingly, he chose BBQ. He's a sucker for the BBQ in Kansas City (as well he should be). We took him over to Gates BBQ for lunch.

First, for those that don't know, Gates BBQ has a fine tradition of attendants at the counter who end up intimidating the uninitiated visitor. The regulars know that when the girl behind the counter screams, "Hi! May I help you?" that you're supposed to immediate state what you want and then she'll move on to the next person. The regulars also know that it makes for great comedy if you fail to reveal this process to the new initiates.

So we walked into the restaurant and I promptly ordered 'beef on bun'. The girl behind the counter screamed 'Beef on Bun!' and then turned to my boss and said 'Hi! May I help you?'. He got a panicked look on his face and leaned towards me.

Manager: What do I want?

Me: Beef's always good. They have pork and ham along with ribs as well.

Manager: (to girl behind counter) I'll have what he's having.

Me: Fine choice.

We headed over to chat and eat. My manager took the first bite of the sandwich. "Oh man, that is ridiculous good. You're batting 1.000 on restaurant selection. Keep up the good work."

Who knew that all I had to do to keep in my manager's good graces was to keep picking fabulous eating establishments for him to visit?!?!?! I'm already planning for his next visit. I need to make sure that he stays happy.