Thursday, October 23, 2008

Training session bullet points........

Some random thoughts from a training meeting that I attended last week at work.....

-Note to those that fall asleep in the darkness of a meeting using a projector: Don't fall asleep if you're apt to snore while sleeping. I don't think I need to tell you why.

-There was a strange guttural sound that kept happening every 5 seconds or so. It was bugging me to the point of distraction. I finally figured out that one of my co-workers has some sort of involuntary reflex which causes him to make a small sound with his throat every 5 seconds. Learn something new every day.

-If you're the trainer, never start the class by saying 'This material can get pretty boring to read out loud, so I'd appreciate questions during the class to initiate discussion and keep things interesting'. Any trainer who thinks that the lack of questions is the reason his class gets boring likely should be told to look in a mirror. It's not the students that are the problem.

-I went through at least 5 cans of pop during that meeting. It was the only way I could stay awake through that hill of information being read to me.

-My first verbal response to a question posed by the instructor was 'Ford Mustang'. Note that the question was not 'What car do you drive?'.

-When an off-site training class adjourns early, that evidently means to most people that their work day is complete, even if they haven't worked nearly enough hours. I didn't get the memo. I got back to the office to do a couple of things and found that no one else in the class came back to work. I've got to pay more attention.

-Fact: Failure to properly control air-flow and room temperature in a meeting can result in increased rates of sleeping amongst meeting participants. Know how to use the thermostat.

-When you adjourn a class after 6 hours of instruction and you ask 'Are there any questions about the material covered today?', the lack of any questions is probably not a sign that you did a great job of instruction. It's more likely that everyone is so bored out of their mind that they're looking for the quickest way out of the meeting room.