Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Death is a very surreal thing........

Sunday morning, there was a message board post just like any other post on one of my favorite online hangouts, Tigerboard. You can read it here.

Tigerboard post

The person who posted that post is know to Tigerboard as "FANSMU", but his actual name is Randy Tremble. Obviously, he's optimistic about the upcoming season for the Mizzou Tigers' basketball team. Today, there was a post on Tigerboard that made what was an otherwise normal post anything but normal. A couple of hours after Randy posted that post on Tigerboard, he died of a massive heart attack at the age of 45. His wife found him on the office floor unconscious in the exact same spot where he had most likely made that post on Tigerboard.

It's almost baffling to think of how quickly things like that happen. One minute, he's just surfing the internet, posting his optimistic views about how excited he is for the upcoming season. The next, he's dead. To some extent, as I have told my wife before, this is one of the main reasons that I never really worry about death too much. While I certainly go out of my way to avoid bad situations, I never waste time worrying about the simple thought of dying. I'm too damn busy living life to worry about dying. I feel like that when that time comes along, I'll be able to say to myself that I didn't waste my time in life. Seems awfully simplistic, but it works for me and that's all that matters.

For what it's worth, I hope the Tigers basketball team does well this year and that Randy has a much better seat than I do.