Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Man, I need to buy new clubs more often.......

The guy that I purchased golf clubs from mentioned that I would see an immediate increase in the quality of my golf game with the new set of clubs that I had purchased. Didn't take long for that to come to pass.

First hole, I stepped up without hitting any balls before the first tee. The first hole was a downhill par 4 of about 350 yards. I drove the ball nearly 300 yards to within about 30 yards of the edge of the green. A pitch and two putts later, I had a par and was off and running.

Two holes later, I hit about a 260 yard drive on a par 5. I took out my 3 wood and hit the ball onto the green and about 20 feet from the hole. I missed the eagle putt (which I never have achieved), but managed to get a birdie on my second putt.

On the back 9, I was playing a par 4 and I had a terrible drive. I hit one shot and then had my 3rd shot from roughly 210 from the hole with water literally right at the front of the green. I pulled out my new 3 wood and hit a great shot over the water. The ball landed very softly on the green and rolled up to about 10 feet from the hole. I rolled in the putt and managed to salvage par on the hole.

My day was not without error. I had 3 drives that I mishit and they went no more than 50-60 yards. I also missed 3 putts inside of 3 feet. But overall, I was definitely at least 40 yards better off the tee and much more accurate than with my old clubs. Even with those errors, I still managed to shoot a final score of 87, my best round I have ever shot. Knowing that I easily could have shaved 2-5 strokes off that score makes me even more excited about the improvement that I will be able to have with these new clubs. Really fun stuff.