Sunday, November 05, 2006

Chiefs/Rams game........

I have a good friend, TW, who is a St. Louis Rams season ticket holder. When I was still in Baltimore, the Chiefs 2006 schedule came out. I immediately noted that the Chiefs were going to be playing the Rams in November, 2006. I sent TW an e-mail asking him how much it was going to cost me to secure his other ticket for that game. TW responded that he had already noted the game as well and was willing to let me have it. Sweet!

Flash forward to today. I woke up at 4:30 AM this morning and headed out the door to make the long trip to St. Louis for the Chiefs/Rams matchup. I was not the only Chiefs fan on the road. I passed many cars full of Chiefs fans and everyone was very friendly, waiving as soon as they realized that yet another fan was on the road.

This weekend is actually somewhat of a dangerous weekend to travel in Missouri. Deer season began yesterday. Some of you outside of Missouri may wonder why that's significant. Well, Missouri has a significant overpopulation of deer. Hunters head into the woods, fields, etc., and flush out all of the deer. It's inevitable that the deer are going to wander away from their normal home and flee from the hunters across roads. I-70 literally becomes a bloody mess during hunting season. I saw 8 dead deer in 200 miles on the eastbound lanes of I-70.

I also saw one deer that was 'considering suicide'. In other words, there was a deer that was standing right off the edge of the shoulder of the highway, looking across the road. That deer is pretty sure that the road is a dangerous place, but she (it was a doe) is also pretty sure that the hunters that are nearby are equally as dangerous. It's a scary thing to see if you're driving down the road. The car is moving at a high rate of speed and there's not much you can do if that deer decides to bolt across the road in front of your car. Not only that, but if that deer decides to change direction once on the road, the hooves of the deer act like they are on ice and the deer often falls down. People have been killed when they hit a deer and the body of the deer gets thrown through the windshield. Thankfully, my doe decided to actually run back to where she had came from and avoid any confrontation with my car.

I got into town about 8:30 AM and TW and I headed off to a nearby Bob Evans to pick up a good breakfast. While most breakfast food is often not good for you, there's something great about having a great farm-style breakfast once every couple of months. Eggs (sunny side up), bacon, sausage, toast, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, orange juice.......I could go on and on. It was a health nightmare, but it was awfully tasty. I'll now wait until sometime in 2007 to have a similar breakfast. TW and I were also laughed at when we stepped out of the car at Bob Evans. A couple of the employees were amused by the fact that two guys, one a Rams fan and one a Chiefs fan, stepped out of the same car. I saw nothing wrong with it. Can't we all just get along?????

We finished up breakfast and headed off to the football stadium.