Monday, December 11, 2006

5 year old birthday party........

One of my friends had a 5th birthday party in the pool house in our neighborhood. It was Cars-themed party with specially printed candy bar wrappers and coloring books for the kids. I went to help set up ahead of time. We put popcorn into popcorn bags for the Cars movie that they were going to watch. We moved around some furniture to give the kids ample room to do what they do best (which is run around like a chicken with its head cut off).

Then the kids started showing up. I have never seen so much energy in a room. One kid randomly started doing jumping jacks for no particular reason. Three other kids started a game of tag that ended up being a game of tackle tag evidently. Another girl quietly made a keychain on the table (God, please let that be my daughter). Kids kept coming into the party and the chaos continued to grow.

I left for a bit and came back 2 hours later. There was STILL tons of energy at the party (some of it probably had to do with the thick icing on the birthday cake that they just finished eating). There was still a random game of tag going on. Some kids were watching the movie and eating popcorn. Others were just running around in circles for good reason other than to burn off some energy. I had to sit down on the couch just to rest after watching it all. I'm ready for parenting, but I'm not in any big hurry to get there after attending that birthday party.