Friday, December 29, 2006

Stairs are not a problem.......

There's a lady that works on my floor that walks with a pretty severe limp because of an injury to one of her legs. She gets around the workplace just fine, but it takes her awhile to do so. I'm always amazed that she has such a great attitude about the whole thing. Some people in similar situations let the problem get them in a bad frame of mind. Not this lady.

I went downstairs to get a drink from the cafeteria this morning. I came back out with my drink and noticed her heading into the stairwell just up the hall from me. That's the first thing you should note. She's got a pretty severe injury, but she always takes the stairs and never takes the elevator. I think it's this kind of attitude in regard to something like stairs not being an obstacle for her that shows how strong-willed she is.

She's quite feisty as well. I walked into the stairwell behind her and slowly followed her up the stairs. Halfway up, she said I could go on by if I wanted to do so. I told her that I was in no big hurry. She laughed and said that was a good thing if she was behind me. I told her that I was used to walking slow anyway because my wife was quite pregnant right now. She said with a chuckle that she was glad that she was walking slow because of a limp and not because she was pregnant. She said she had done that a couple of times before and wasn't really interested in doing it again. She did say that she was happy she had the kids.

Always nice to see people who make you feel stupid for ever lamenting your situation when they have more obstacles than you do.