Friday, January 11, 2008

'I had a craving'.........

One of my main jobs in regards to parenting right now is to put Kali 0.11 to sleep. I'm not sure what it is, but Mrs. Lime just can't get her to cooperate nearly as well as I can. So, I've been the person to put her to sleep each night. It's not a bad gig as I get to just hold Kali for a few minutes in the dark, which is a good time to relax and bond with the baby.

Two nights ago, I was rocking Kali to put her to sleep. After a couple of minutes, I heard a muted spinning sound down in the kitchen. Much to my chagrin, I watched Kali go from having her eyes closed to having them wide open. She was wondering what in the world that sound was as well.

After a few moments, Kali closed her eyes only to hear the same sound again. She looked at me again and then peeked over my arm, trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. This happened twice more over the next couple of minutes before finally stopping. After a few more minutes, I was able to put Kali to sleep and put her in the crib.

I went into our bedroom where Mrs. Lime was already watching TV on the bed.

Me: Finally got her to sleep.

Mrs. Lime: That's good. (reaches for a mug on the side table)

Me: What's that you're drinking?

Mrs. Lime: (grin) A chocolate milkshake!

Me: That was you! I heard a spinning noise downstairs and wondered what it was. Kali went from eyes closed to wide awake every time you ran the blender!

Mrs. Lime: Listen, I've had a rough week! I had a craving and I needed it right then!

Me: I've got nothing against cravings, but it couldn't wait for 5 minutes until Kali was asleep?

Mrs. Lime: Well, I did try to keep quiet. I took the blender into the pantry and closed the door so it wouldn't be as loud.

Me: (laughing) So that's why the sound was muted.

Mrs. Lime: Yes. (grin)

Me: Well, next time, just try to hold off the cravings for a few minutes until the baby's asleep.

Mrs. Lime: OK. (grin)

She somehow thinks that throwing in a sheepish grin here and there will somehow disarm me in these conversations. She's likely right, but I'll attempt to resist.