Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The 10 month old who just keeps growing.........

There's an unintended consequence of having a daughter who is growing much quicker physically than she is mentally. I'm certainly not saying she has any learning issues. She seems to be quite smart actually.

The problem is that I have a 10 month old daughter trapped in the body of an 18 month old child. Most 10 month old children are very exploratory. They crawl everywhere and walk around to some extent. My daughter does those things, but because of her height, she's able to reach a lot of areas that a normal 10 month old can't reach. She's now grabbing items off of kitchen tables and some lower counters. She's nearly able to push the buttons at the top of her baby swing by standing on her tippie-toes. Mrs. Lime and I are having to do another major adjustment as far as what we can leave on tables and counters. I thought we had solved some issues by installing child locks, but evidently that just pushed her to reach to higher levels to get into trouble.

I'm sure this will be an ongoing battle as she continues to grow taller and faster. I only hope that we can keep up.