Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm everything I hate about Yankees fans........

So I was sitting in my living room on Sunday watching the USA basketball team beat the Chinese basketball team by a pretty sizable margin. I was cheering for every dunk, steal, and block as they beat the overmanned China team.

Of course, the USA is truly the class of the world in regards to basketball talent. We can beat a lot of teams handily and could be considered the bully in the basketball world. But then I had a thought. As a Royals fan, I often lament how arrogant the Yankees fan base. The Yankees always win because they have the best players that they have bought for the highest price. Every time a Yankees fan says they've won 20-some championships, I let them know in no uncertain terms that I could win a lot of championships if I was on the top-end of an uneven playing field.

With that said, have I suddenly become somewhat like a Yankees fan? Doesn't my basketball team have an unfair advantage in regards to superior league, superior training facilities, and other advantages that other nations don't have? Yes, they probably do. I'll justify it by saying that I have to watch the Royals every year, so I deserve to have the option every 4 years to root for a team that I'm proud of AND that wins games, unlike the Royals.