Saturday, February 14, 2009

Is this really the 15th one?

On February 14, 1995, I celebrated my first Valentine's Day. As much as it would be nice to play up the romantic nature of that first time, I seem to remember that I was more worried that I got something that Mrs. Lime would like more than anything else. Ah, the joys of dating.

Now, we're doing Valentine's Day for the 15th time. When you've done it that many times, the meaning of the day changes. Early in your relationship, you're just trying to find a way to avoid screwing up. Now, you're trying to find a way to show your significant other just how much you appreciate them.

I gave an unusual Valentine's Day present: I had 2 dozen roses delivered. Not unusual, you say? Ah, you don't know Lime well enough. I've always brought Mrs. Lime roses throughout the year at random times. There's no better thing than to bring home roses 'just because' rather than because it's Valentine's Day. Plus, you can give roses several times a year with the money that you'd spend on roses for just one Valentine's Day.

So, long story short, I sent roses to Mrs. Lime this year and she was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, I'll have to make a decision on Valentine's Day presents for years to come. However, I will reserve the right to just give her a kiss once I reach 90 years of age. A man has to set some boundaries, don't you think?