Tuesday, April 04, 2006

FYI.....I added a new link to my favorites......

I added a link to the Cassini space probe website in my favorites. Every day, they update the site with new pictures and new findings.

They have already made a couple of major findings. They have found geothermal activity on one of Saturn's moons that actually produces enormous geysers of water that obviously quickly freeze (you can see the geysers actually spraying out in the photo I've added above). They believe that some of the ring material surrounding Saturn is replenished by the ice produced by this moon.

Also, in just the past few days, they have found evidence that a lot of the ring material may actually be a former moon that was smashed to pieces by a comet or meteorite. The resulting material, ranging in size from less than an inch to the size of a car, remained in orbit around Saturn and is still there to this day. Really cool stuff.