Saturday, April 01, 2006

April Fools Day....the best day of the year......

In late August, 1994, my sister set me up on a blind date with a girl that worked with her as a lifeguard at a local water park. We went out on our first date a few days later after talking on the phone. I went over to pick up my date and, as I know now is commonplace, she wasn't quite ready. So, her father sat down with me to introduce himself. He was an alumni of the college that I was currently attending and a member of a rival fraternity to my fraternity. His first question of me was, "So, do you know anything about the reported date rape in a college fraternity house?".

We talked for a few minutes with the questions becoming easier from that point on. Eventually, my date came down and we headed off on a whirlwind of a date. As is so often the case with me, I never seem to figure out one great thing to do on a date, so I tend to just do a lot of things hoping that some of them might be fun. I remember dinner somewhere, a movie and mini-golf. We both had a good time, but it didn't really seem to click from a romantic standpoint.

Thankfully, we stuck with it and let the relationship develop. Nearly 6 years later, we got married on April 1, 2000. Now 6 years later, we're still happily married. Also, because April Fool's Day falls on a Saturday, thousands of people are getting married today on the same day we got married. I hope that all of them were as lucky as me to find the best wife a guy could ever ask for.