Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fund-raiser for dancing.......

There's a lady in my general area at work who sets out a box of fund-raising candy in the lunchroom. It's a fund-raiser for her daughter's dance class. Certainly a worthy cause and I'm sure her daughter has a lot of fun doing it.

Being the nice guy I am, I head over to buy a candy bar. The box is set out and it's obviously an honor system with the money envelope sticking up in the box. Each candy bar is $1.00. I look in my pocket and quickly take inventory. Plenty of money in there, but the smallest bill I have is a $5.00 bill and I have no change. So, I pick up the envelope and take a peek inside. I see three $1.00 bills and some silver change at the bottom. Good, there's enough money in there to make change.

I take the envelope and flip it upside down. As soon as I start doing that, an older lady comes around the corner. I didn't look at her directly, but I could feel it. She stared lasers through me thinking that I was just dumping out the envelope and taking the money for myself. I didn't bother to look back. I looked at the contents and found 3 $1.00 bills, 3 quarters and a nickel. What?!?!?! Someone had already shafted the poor little dancing girls! They only paid 80 cents for a $1.00 candy bar! I was outraged. I thought about turning around to the lady who was still staring at me to let her know that someone had ripped off the girls and send her to track them down!

Instead, I took the $3.80 and put it in my pocket and put the $5.00 into the fundraising envelope. The thought of the injustice in this situation enraged me to the point where I just decided to go ahead and make up the difference and pay $1.20 for my $1.00 candy bar. Sometimes, you just have to do what's right. I hope that young girl in a tutu someday realizes the sacrifice I made today by paying a 20 cent premium on a Butterfinger candy bar.