Monday, January 08, 2007

We have a developing situation........

Some days, it doesn't pay to be the reference guide in the family.

I received a call from Mrs. Lime today. It seems that she's somehow reached the point where she's pushed every button on every remote (which happens more often than she'd admit) and she's still not able to do what she wants to do (which was watch one of her Gilmore Girls DVD's). So, time to start debugging over the phone just how bad the situation is.

First, what is she trying to do. "Access the DVD player." Got it.

What does she see right now? "Blank screen." That's never a good starting point.

I ask her to click on the DVD button to switch to the DVD player. "It says 'no signal'." Uh oh.

I tell her to click on the Cable button to switch to the cable feed. "It's a blank screen." Hmmmmmmm.......

I have her hit the power button for the cable box. "OK, I have cable TV." Now we're getting somewhere.

I tell her to click DVD to go back to the DVD player. "It's a blank screen."

I tell her to hit the power button for the DVD player. "Still blank.........oh, wait. It says it's loading. OK, I see the menu now."

So, in summary.......

-Wife tries to turn on DVD player.
-Wife doesn't get it to work right away, so she starts pushing buttons.
-Wife calls husband when buttons don't work.
-Hubby to the rescue.

I'm not sure I'd be much use to this relationship if I didn't have tech savvy, so I suppose I should count my blessings. Thankfully, all is now blissful in the Lime home now. Mrs. Lime is happily watching the Gilmore Girls DVD without any further issues.