Wednesday, September 05, 2007

How to make a bad first impression..........

I went in to assist on an interview yesterday for an open position in our group at work. One other person went in with me to interview the candidate. He was a man in his upper 40s who had nearly 20 years of work experience.

My first note of caution was that he moved around quite a bit in his jobs. We asked him about it and he just noted that most of them were short-term contract positions that weren't supposed to last that long. Fair enough.

We had another question that we were required to ask by our company.......

Co-worker: Can you cite a situation where there was conflict and how you dealt with that situation?

Applicant: Well, there was this one time where my neighbors were being really noisy.

Me: Ah.......

Applicant: They were really getting on my nerves. So I stood up at my desk and started to bang loudly on the cabinets to get their attention to get them to shut up.

Me: Oh, I see. So how did you resolve the situation.

Applicant: Well, I'm not sure it was ever really resolved. I think they just got the picture that I was pretty pissed off and they stopped talking.

Me: (stunned)

Co-worker: Alright, on to the next question..........


Needless to say, we won't be hiring this guy for the open position. I'm guessing that he might have a bit of a temper and a total lack of control of that temper.