Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lime versus 'The Artist'..........

Mrs. Lime and I went over last night to a photo studio to get some pictures taken. Most of the photos were obviously concentrated on the lovely Kali 0.7. Mrs. Lime and I were there for some token photos just to make sure that there was some pictoral record of us ever being there.

The studio was a loft apartment with one end of it converted into a photo studio. Several computers in the area for them to work their photo magic. Mrs. Lime had set up the entire thing and talked with them, so I had no idea what to expect. We immediately started with a brief sit-down discussion where the lady asked what we wanted. Mrs. Lime mentioned a few things and just said that she liked the casual nature of their photos. Little did I know how casual it would get!


Lady: Well, with babies, we focus on naked pictures.

Me: (puzzled look shot at lady)

Lady: Let me show you all some examples.

Me: Ummmmmm, I don't think we need a bunch of naked photos.

Lady: Well, let me show you some of what we've done.......

Me: No, I don't think we want any naked photos.

Lady: I'm not sure what the point is if the baby isn't naked.



It's at this point that I decide to internalize my dialogue. In my head, I'm thinking "You'll shoot pictures of my baby in her cute sun dresses and you'll like it!". Listen, I get the whole 'pictures as art' thing that she wanted to do. But if I'm footing the bill, you're going to take the pictures that Mrs. Lime and I want, not that you think would be artsy-fartsy.

I noticed the lady's husband go into evasive maneuvers as he said, "I'm going to go into the studio to set things up". That was his way of running away from the situation as quickly as possible because it didn't take a genius to figure out I was not too interested in his wife's opinion at that point. Smart man.

Once we finally did get in the studio, the man did the photo shoot and did a really good job. He chatted with me about photos and how to get good ones. He worked some artistic stuff into the photos while getting some good pictures that showed off our baby. I noticed that the lady left the photo shoot about halfway through to do other things. I think she was just peeved that I didn't agree with her 'vision' of the photo shoot, but I didn't really care too much.

I'd still use them for future photos. The photos were excellent from what I saw. That's all that matters in the end. Stick a big baby photo on the wall and enjoy. I fear the grandparents may have a heyday with the proofs.