Friday, April 27, 2007

Birthday announcement........

Kali 0.2 and I headed out to run some errands. On the way back home, I asked Kali if we should stop and get a milkshake for Mrs. Lime. I couldn't see her as her car seat faces backwards, but I heard her laugh, so I assumed that was her approval.

We went to Maggie Moo's and it was pretty busy. There was a group of 8 people in front of me. They noticed that I was toting around a baby and let me go in front of them, which was very nice of them. I ordered a couple of milkshakes.

While I was standing waiting for the milkshakes, a little girl walked up and started talking to me........

Girl: Hi! How are you?

Me: I'm great! Thanks for asking.

Girl: Would you mind if I talked with your baby?

Me: Not at all. Go right ahead.

Girl: What words does she know so I know what questions to ask her?

Me: Well, she likes to make baby noises and laugh, but her vocabulary at this point is pretty limited.

Girl: How old is she?

Me: She's 10 weeks old.

Girl: Geez! I'm 5 years old and my 6th birthday is this week, so I'm older than her.

Me: Yes, you're definitely older.

The girl waved and smiled at Kali and Kali smiled back. The little girl was very excited to get a smile out of the baby. The girl quickly lost interest (as 5 year old kids often do) and ran over to scream to the world that she was soon to be 6 years old. I looked down and noticed that Kali was still watching the girl and laughing at her as she announced her birthday. Kali was entertained, so I was a happy camper.

Kali didn't have to wait long for new entertainment. A couple of people who were obviously grandparents eagerly came over to talk to Kali. They were both excited as well to get smiles out of Kali. People just love to look at and talk to babies. It brightens their day, especially when they get feedback in the form of a smile or baby talk. Kali has always seemed to laugh or smile when people want her to smile.

She's the official goodwill ambassador of North Kansas City.