Sunday, April 08, 2007

Kali 0.2 is definitely loved.......

Kali 0.2 gets plenty of attention from everyone involved in the family and extended family. There's no shortage of love and attention for this baby. However, there is someone that doesn't often get credit for his contributions.

Several of the people were worried at how our dog, Casanova, would handle the transition from only child (dog) in the house to a situation where the baby was getting much more of the attention. From what I've seen, he's exceeded expectations.

He always gets up with Mrs. Lime when Kali is crying and needs to eat. He goes to Mrs. Lime's feet and waits until the feeding is complete. Once the baby is back in the crib, he usually comes back with Mrs. Lime and stays in the master bedroom. Occasionally, for one reason or another, he lays down in the hallway between the nursery and the master bedroom or just lays down in the nursery to sleep.

On one occasion the other day, Kali was fussing. Mrs. Lime was downstairs at work and I was in the bedroom, still asleep. Nova came in whining and was trying to wake me up. At first, I just thought he was wanting to go out. Turns out that Kali was awake and crying and no one was checking on her. He whined at me until he finally got my attention and we headed in. He was very happy that she was taken care of at that point.

On another day, I was actually taking care of Kali and she was crying and hollering because she didn't want to eat off the bottle for one reason or another. Mrs. Lime was working in the adjacent office with the door closed. Nova assumed there was something going on and didn't think I was doing a good enough job evidently. So Nova went over to the office door and began knocking at the door, trying to get Mrs. Lime to come out and help. She eventually came out because she was wondering what was making the banging on the door. Eventually Kali took the bottle from me and everything was just fine.

Yesterday, we were driving back from my parents' house. We had all gone down to see them for a day. Roughly halfway through the trip, we stopped to get gas and feed the baby. Mrs. Lime went in to the shop and I started to fill the gas tank. Kali and Nova were inside the car and Kali was asleep. I just had to run into the shop to get a bottle of pop, so I locked the car and ran inside. I was gone one minute at the most and came back. Nova was looking out the driver's side window and his ears were back. He was upset about something.

I opened the door and found that Kali had woke up during the brief time I left and started crying. Nova had become so upset that she was crying and no one was around that he actually sprayed in the car. For those that don't own dogs, they have a spraying gland just under their tail that sprays a rather smelly liquid. So Kali was crying, Nova was upset and we had to drive home with a terrible smell in the car. So that will be the last time that I assume nothing can go wrong if I'm away from the baby and the dog for a minute or less.

I had to give a bath to Nova last night so he didn't stink and had to clean up the front seats of the truck so it wouldn't stink. So Kali, years from now, you can read this and know that your dog loved you a whole lot.