Sunday, April 15, 2007

Language lesson........

I played a round of golf online this morning. There were three people in the group. It was an international group. One of my partners was a 28 year old window washer from England and my other partner was a 9 year old girl from San Paolo, Brazil. The English guy was relatively quiet. The 9 year old girl was a chatterbox.

She started talking a lot very early on. Initially, neither of us talked with her and she acted a bit frustrated. So I started talking with her to keep her busy.

I started off by talking a bit in Spanish. She started giving me some words and what they meant in English. I was a bit confused because some of the words she told me I knew the Spanish equivalent, but her version was slightly different. I asked her if it was Spanish and she informed me that Portuguese is actually the native language of Brazil.

She was a really smart girl. She didn't know a whole lot of English, but I was amazed at how smart she was for a 9 year old. She asked me if I liked Burger King or "Mc Donalds" as those are her favorite restaurants. She said she wanted to grow up to work at Burger King so she could eat their hamburgers all day. She also asked me if I liked "peps or coca". That's what they call Pepsi and Coca-Cola. I told her I was a 'coca' fan.

She taught me several Portuguese words. Here's what I learned today:

no = nao
yes = sim
para = stop
de = the
falar = talk or speak

There were a few others, but those were the ones I remember. I finished out the golf round (which I actually won) and wished my new Brazilian friend well. She thanked me as well and we headed back into our separate lives.