Sunday, April 08, 2007

DEFCOM Level 1.........

Kali 0.2 and I were doing our usual weekend morning bonding time while Mrs. Lime got in a few hours of work. We were sitting on the couch watching a story about the Cuban Missile Crisis and what actually occurred on both sides of the standoff. It was actually very interesting. They told the story of the brave pilots that did low-level spy missions over Cuba, sometimes roaring across the Cuban landscape as low as 100 feet high to take the incriminating snapshots of the missiles that they would later use in the United Nations when the Russian representative denied they existed.

The show also discussed in detail the various levels of DEFCOM. It's basically gauges the level of readiness that the military is at in any given situation. As the Cuban Missile Crisis moved forward, the DEFCOM level continued to move up until the situation was eventually diffused by diplomatic discussions.

As Kali and I were watching the show, Kali suddenly looked at me with a pretty determined look. I started chatting with her about nothing in particular. She kept looking at me without breaking her stare. Suddenly, a very loud noise came from her diaper.

"Uh oh, I think we've just entered DEFCOM 1, Kali", I said.

She continued with her determined look and I went back to watching the show. About 2 minutes later, another very loud noise came out her diaper.

"Kali! Did we just move to DEFCOM 2????? This could be an international situation!"

Never one to attempt to diffuse a situation, my daughter continued on with her same stoic look. It was obvious that Adlai Stevenson (US secretary to the UN during the Cuban Missile Crisis) may be needed to keep this problem from boiling over.

Then it happened. A nuclear explosion of massive proportions straight from my daughter's britches. This situation had reached critical mass. I had to do something.

"Kali, I fear we've reached DEFCOM 3. We're going to have to make sure that this doesn't cause global war!"

I quickly ran upstairs and changed the overflowing diaper. Crisis averted.