Monday, July 30, 2007

International incident........

Mrs. Lime asked (requested) that we head out for ice cream. I didn't have my license or keys, so Mrs. Lime drove and I rode in back with the baby.

About 5 minutes down the road, we were on an interstate highway. I noticesd that a bird was flying across the median and then turned up the road as he neared the truck. He ended up moving over slightly, putting himself right in front of the windshield. Mrs. Lime turned around just in time to see the bird smack the windshield and go flying off to the side.

I knew as soon as I saw the bird fly in front of the windshield that were were about to have an international incident. When the bird hit the windshield, Mrs. Lime screamed and immediately began to sob. Mrs. Lime does not deal with animal death very well at all.

Mrs. Lime: (crying) I just killed a birdie!

Me: It's OK, honey. It's alright.

Mrs. Lime: NO! I just killed a birdie!


Mrs. Lime was pretty upset about the whole thing. After a couple of minutes......


Mrs. Lime: I can't believe that the birdie just flew into the windshield.

Me: He didn't. He was flying in front of the windshield and you ran into him.

Mrs. Lime: I rear-ended the birdie! I wish you wouldn't have told me that! The poor thing never saw it coming!

Me: It's not like you could have missed him.

Mrs. Lime: Well, I could have moved over and avoided him or something!

Me: You were going to pass the bird on the right?????

Mrs. Lime: YES!

Me: I say it was the bird's fault. He should have never been flying that slow in the fast lane.

Mrs. Lime: STOP IT! The birdie is dead!

Me: No. I think he's just going to have a slight limp.

Mrs. Lime: I probably broke his neck!

Me: How can you break his neck by rear-ending him?


We made it to the ice cream place without any further incident. However, the incident was still the topic of discussion......


Me: How's the ice cream cone?

Mrs. Lime: OK, but it wasn't worth a birdie's life.

Me: (laughing) I knew that this was going to be an international incident as soon as I saw that bird hovering in front of the windshield!

Mrs. Lime: If you knew this was going to be an international incident, why didn't you save the bird's life and tell me to pass him?????

Me: I think it's natural selection. Any bird that decides it would be a good idea to pull in front of a truck likely was meant to die.


We headed back home after we finished up our ice cream. We were passed by 3 cops moving at a pretty high rate of speed.


Mrs. Lime: I wonder where they're all headed?

Me: I bet they're headed to treat that birdie.

Mrs. Lime: That birdie is dead!

Me: I saw him in the median back there. Just a limp, nothing more.

Mrs. Lime: Whatever.


Prayers go out to the birdie and his family. He was a brave, if somewhat stupid birdie.